Sunday, March 9, 2008

Our Engagement Story...

But FIRST….. our story when we locked eyes and fell in love for the first time, awww the beauty of love at first sight, HA haha, not in our case. It was my second year as a team dancer at my University and I was in the best damn shape ever! A friend of mine on the team had a boyfriend whose single best friend, wanted to hook up with someone on the dance team ::typical guy:: I do not remember, but I think I was one of the few girls that didn’t have a “man.” I grew up in a strict home and never had a “real” boyfriend, just one of those 1 week elementary things. My friend thought I would be perfect for her boyfriend’s best friend. She finally convinced me to go with her to the gym and check this “guy” out. I saw him; he had tattoos and I was convinced not to get involved. I walked out of the gym without even saying “hello.” Yes, I confess, I judged a book by its cover! 4 months later, I went across the border where underage drinkers would go party, yes another confession I was 19. I was there at a bar drinking it up with my cousin and a friend, shame on me. All of a sudden I spotted the “guy.” He was wearing a white, fitted sweater that covered his tattoos and he looked amazing! I couldn’t get my eyes off of him. “OMG, it’s him!” I tried to get his attention by staring his way for most of the night. We never locked eyes, so I gave up. I got up from my seat, I looked up and there he was … standing in front of me holding his hand out.


4 ½ years later, we began talking about marriage. We could comfortably talk about our future together, what kind of house we’d live in and whether our first child would be a boy or girl. It came to a point where I would constantly think about what day he would ask me and how he would do it. I even started to harass him about getting engaged, I’m so bad! My guy is not the romantic type and isn’t a planner at all. He is very predictable. I figured that the day I would walk into a room with roses and candle light was the time he was going to pop the question. Even if he planned a date! One Saturday night, we decided to stay home and have a couple of drinks. He had a little too many and I began to get sleepy. We said our goodnights and our I love yous. He added, “ Tomorrow, you’ll know how much I really love you.” Was he really going to do it? OMG, I think he is! Before I continue, my mother had generously offered her first engagement ring to my guy when he was ready to pop the question. The next day, I woke up and I could not stay calm. I thought, today is the day. I am finally going to be engaged. While my mother and I went curtain shopping I realized that she was wearing the ring that would soon be mine. She NEVER wore that ring, she would always wear her 1 carat wedding ring. I was so bummed out, how will he be able to propose with out the ring? He never asked for it, so of course, that day was not “the day.” We got home and he was lounging around watching T.V. I was soooooo bummed out and mad at the same time. We began to watch the movie, “El Cantante” with Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez. In one of the scenes, Marc asks J-Lo to marry him, I said to my guy, “Wait, rewind that again, I want to experience it through them since I will not for a while.” I’m so cruel!! It was getting late and it was time for me to go to bed. I was looking for my cell phone to set my alarm. I could not find it, I looked everywhere for it! My guy suggested that it might be in the car and he offered to go check for me. Sure enough it was in there; he handed it to me and told me I had a txt message. I was walking to our room and I opened up my phone. It read, “Will You Marry Me?” I was confused and re-read it to make sure I read it right. Was this a joke? Was he getting back at me for the comment I said during the movie? I turned around and to my surprise he was down on one knee holding the ring and asked, “Will you marry me?” YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His Tats!!! I'm in love with them now!
Us :)

No comments: